Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Didn't Carly Simon have a song about us?

Jared Huffman and Ethan Elkin's op-ed piece in Sunday's SF Chron literally hit close to home. Yeah, I know I cancelled my Chronicle suscription; how I came to be in possession of the Insight section is another story.

The main thesis of the piece is that developers have oversupplied the market with single-family homes leaving anyone desiring a home within walking distance of jobs, services, schools, parks and public transit with few options. Their assertion is that local land-use policy is the primary roadblock creating the phenomenon of suburban sprawl, yet trends show demand is increasing for "walkable communities."

The statement that really hit close to Island home? "Even with major transit stops in place, local restrictions stymie growth out of fear of increased traffic and a desire to preserve the 'character of the neighborhood.'" Sounds familiar to me.

The writers go on to suggest 3 ways to address the issue. You can read the piece yourself for details.

I know, this is old hash. I thought this song was about me.

5 comments:

tony daysog said...

wasn't it joni mitchell?

Edmundo Delmundo said...

She sang "You're So Vain" too?

tony daysog said...

i thought you were referring to that Mitchell song about paving paradise with parking lots etc.

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view